Sunday, January 05, 2014

Thoughts.

http://writingprompts.tumblr.com/


First, I love the Writing Prompts Tumblr and plan to use it often. Second, the question of which is the better mindset is extremely interesting to me. 

Our reality show culture is the perfect example of how American's believe that they are special regardless of the talent and energy they put out. You are the sibling of someone famous? Reality show. You made a sex tape with someone famous and it leaked? Reality show and fragrances for you! 

It doesn't seem like it is problematic, to tell a child that they are special and unique and going to achieve amazing things. I don't think that is wrong...the problem is what our culture deems as successful. Being rich, being a celebrity, those are held above being a good parent or joining a profession that helps people. 

What this can do is lead to a lot of disappointment as an adult. It is where quarter-life crises' come from. 

Since I am American I cannot speak to what it would be like growing up without being told by society that I am a special and a snowflake and just need to pull myself by my boot straps. I could see there possibly being issues with self-esteem if people shoot down your hopes and desires. I know that Eddie Izzard talks about this in his special Dressed To Kill. 


I think it is probably healthier to have an attitude that makes it so being an ordinary person is just fine. That you can be a good person and love others and you don't *have* to find 15 minutes of fame. 

What do you think? 



2 comments :

Joyce Lansky said...

Sometimes, as Americans, we do a horrible job of teaching kids how to handle failure. Some kids are in for a rude awakening come adulthood.

http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/01/musical-monday-after-ever-after.html

Elizabeth Bartlett said...

Yep, I totally agree!